We develop and produce drugs based on human blood, recombinant drugs, probiotics based on spore-forming bacteria and traditional drugs.
People perceive immunity as something similar to a perpetuum mobile, which always works. It’s not like that. There are cases when the body needs support from the outside. Then, the technologically complex drugs come to the rescue.
We develop and produce technologically complex drugs for those who need just to improve their health as well as for patients who need help in emergencies: in intensive care, in diseases of the blood, and in a range of oncological diseases.
Throughout the 19th century, epidemics of diphtheria, plague, typhoid, dysentery and Asian cholera are rampant. Products for vaccines are supplied from abroad. Often, even middle-class representatives can not afford them. The statistics of that time are terrifying: 60% of sick children in the country died of diphtheria, and 48% of the population died from cholera. Koch, Pasteur, Mechnikov and other scientists understand that studying infectious diseases is not enough – they need to be overcome.
In 1895, the Association for fighting against infectious diseases was created, Lazar Brodsky was appointed as the chairman.
The Association sets ambitious goals:
For the donations of the Kyivans, Professor Pavlovsky was sent to Berlin and Paris to learn the technology of manufacturing of the antidiphtheritic serum. Upon his return, he and his colleagues open a laboratory on the basis of the University of St. Volodymyr. Within a few months, the vasccine was developed and sent around the country. Professor Pavlovsky himself takes care of up 50 infected children. Due to the vaccine, all children survived.
Afterwards, the capacity of the laboratory was not enough to cover all the needs for the vaccine. Scientists receive land on the Baykova Mountain for the Bacteriological Institute. April 14, 1896 is the starting point of the history of biopharma — the construction of the Pasteur Вuilding begins on this day. The architect Ivanov volunteered to develop a project based on the model of the French Institute n.a. Pasteur, the architect Gorodetsky helped him. The citizens contributed funds for the construction – as much as they could. Donations were recorded in the registry: small amounts from students and workers and large contributions from the nobility. The decisive amount of 132,000 rubles was given by the sugar manufacturer Lazar Brodsky. For comparison, the cow in those days cost 40 kopiykas. Upon that, Brodsky gave the following instruction:
The Institute opened on October, 21. On the same day, a lecture was delivered to the guests in the assembly hall. There was not enough room for everyone, people were standing in the corridor and on the stairs, those who stood in front, transmitted the words of the lecturer back.
In 1897, at the expense of the philanthropist Tereshchenko, a shelter was opened opposite the building. Anyone could come there, get a free vaccine, have a meal and spend a night. People traveled on foot for several days to come there from distant provinces. Nobody was denied here.
"... the purpose of the Institute should be primarily to achieve practical goals: preparation and testing of therapeutic and preventive bacteriological means for the needs of the population of my native city of Kyiv and its adjacent region." One hundred days pass from the first foundation stone to the opening of the Institute. The laboratory does not interrupt scientific activity during the entire construction period.
People went from distant regions of the country for several days. Hereno one was denied.
Before the Second World War, the Institute produced 19 kinds of drugs. Serums against diphtheria, typhoid, cholera, smallpox, gonococcus and other epidemics were developed and released. In 1920, new departments were opened: epidemiological, microbiological, parasitological and sanitary-hygienic.
In 1925, the Laboratory for the manufacture of anti-tuberculosis BCG vaccine was opened and its manufacturing was established. Morbidity and mortality among the vaccinated are reduced several times.
By the 1930s, the first scientific medical library was assembled at the institute. It consisted of thousands of books and manuscripts on medicine. Nowadays, this library is exhibited in the scientific and manufacturing complex in the town of Bila Tserkva.
In 1938, the Institute is divided into two parts: scientific and manufacturing. At this time, the staff consisted of 250 employees.
In 1941, the manufacturing has stopped. Evacuation begins. First of all, the employees save not even their property, but the documentation of drugs: they understand that the most important thing is to keep the developments. The Institute was evacuated to Kuibyshev.
The research continued. In 1942, the Institute derived the theory of the driving forces of the epidemic process and developed a classification of infectious diseases.
After the war, manufacturing returned to Kyiv. Then in the description of the property of the plant there were 5 laboratory mice, 1 laboratory rat, 1 car and 1 cart. Subsequently, the material and technical base increased: in a few months, horses appeared, and later a new laboratory building was built.
Due to this, the scientists went to the next level of research and improved the quality of drugs. In 1955, the manufacturing expanded to 12 bacterial drugs. The institute begins to send the vaccine against smallpox to Europe, the Middle East and India.
In 1965, the USSR Council of Ministers issued a decree stating that there were no epidemics in the country. So, the production of vaccines and serums are stopped. The new goal is the biggest that has ever been done before: immunology. Scientists are developing the technology for the production of human plasma-derived drugs. These drugs are still relevant, such as human albumin.
In the late 1960s, the seperation of production from the Institute began. "The bacterial drugs plant" appears. The plant manufactures infusion solutions and hormones, and in 1983 it produces Human Leukocyte Interferon against the flu virus for the first time.
In 1986, biopharma was the first in the world to produce the innovative drug "Ceruloplasmin". It has a positive effect on the oxygen homeostasis and immune status under the influence of ionizing radiation, toxic substances, the growth of tumors and influenza infection. Later the employees will be awarded with the State Prize for the development of this drug.
In 2005, at the International Forum of Quality, the enterprise receives the ISO 9001 certificate. This is an official guarantee that all business processes of biopharma meet international quality management standards.
In 2005, biopharma was the first company in the CIS countries to use the world technology of the "gold standard" — virus inactivation by the solvent/detergent method. It allows decontaminating of the immunoglobulin from viruses that can be found in the donor blood. Thus, the patient gets an absolutely safe drug.
In 2010, the company modernized the manufacturing lines. biopharma receives GMP and ISO 1400: 2006 Сertificates, because now the manufacturing processes of the company meet the requirements of the environmental management system and the level of environmental impact of the company.
the first stage of the biopharmaceutical research and manufacturing complex was launched in the town of Bila Tserkva. It was designed by the German engineering company Linde Engineering. The complex was built in accordance with the rules of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP), that is, the manufacturing processes in biopharma are now subject to a single European system of regulations, rules, and guidelines.
On June 16, 2015, the official opening of the newest biopharma complex took place in the town of Bila Tserkva. The ceremony was attended by the Minister of Health of Ukraine, Head of the Kyiv Regional State Administration, Ambassador of Canada, representatives of international financial institutions, representatives of the Embassy of the USA and other countries. The Heads of biopharma handed over to the Minister medicines worth 1 million UAH.
These drugs are distributed throughout the country for the treatment of patients. On the same day, the first stone was laid in the development of a new fractionation plant for the production of human plasma-derived products. At the old site, the company processed up to 150 tons of plasma per year. The annual capacity of the new plant is 500 - 1000 tons. The Biopharma fractionator is the largest in Eastern Europe.
about 20, ,000 ,000 packages of drugs are manufactured at the enterprise annually
more than 500 professionals work at biopharma.Every day researchers and scientists develop and make drugs that ease and save lives
for more than 123 years we we make patients’ lives better
more than 36 in so many countries we export our drugs
minimum 4 times a year biopharma is a subject to quality review by foreign and Ukrainian auditors